Minimally Invasive Joint Replacement
Total Hip Replacement THR and Total Knee Replacement THR are very successful
surgical treatment for arthritis of the hip and knee respectively.
Over the last several years hip and knee replacement surgery has evolved to a Minimally Invasive technique.
Advantages of Minimally Invasive Joint Replacement are
- Less tissue trauma – muscles and tendons are avoided or separated, not cut
- Faster and less painful rehabilitation
- Smaller incisions and less scarring – two incisions of 1½ to 2 inches each, rather
than one 10- to 12-inch incision
- Shorter hospital stay – 1-2 days (vs. 3-5 days); some patients go home in less
than 24 hours
- Reduced blood loss and less need for pre-surgery blood donation
- Faster return to work and daily activities
Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement Incisions
Minimally Invasive Hip Replacement Incisions